GodsWar Online Today: 2    Total Posts: 67060

Total:#25

Create Thread

[General Discussion] Proper use of the search feature!--Please read before making a new thread x)!

Hot Topics Sticky   [Copy link] 24/13151

Posted on 2009-06-27 18:47:27 | Show thread starter's posts only

HOW TO PROPERLY USE THE SEARCH FEATURE

A lot of people don't actually know how to use the search function properly, and even more people wont admit that . .

and because of that,people tends to make New Threads immediately, creating a huge amount of threads that ask questions that already were answered/yct16 :P

___________________________________________________________________________________________

First make sure you are logged on the forums!

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Now that we got that all clear before pressing that       ""

you might find that the "search" button has been  placed pretty close from the "new" button, right here :P

Ok! now that we know where the search function is, we are all set right? :D

Wrong! /yct59

this is the part where most new forum users get lost :)

/yct42 Welcome to the Search Feature of the Forum/yct42

you might be familiar with this and you might even have used this but didn't get the results you wanted >.

So let's emphasize on this further :P

as you might know, to use the search you need to type in the space provided

BUT there's a catch!/yct08

see the words on left side of the space provided?

Yups! it say's "KEYwords" :3

and not "complete sentence" or even "phrase" so that means that you should use 1 or 2 words only :P

if you tried to do what i just said, and your search is still not giving any results.

don't pun me just yet, coz i'm not finished with my discussion :D/yct45

*ehem* as i was talking . .

if your search didn't come out right, you must have the search range wrong . .

So let's meet the "Search Options" ;D/yct18

check if you have chosen a specific area of search

since its specific area of search is in the HELP section, you might not find good answers for your questions

since you're bound to find more questions than answers

TO FIX THIS and get on with your search

simply click on the other option which is the "search all open forums"

since all sorts of guides and help might be wandering in different subforums, you might want to do this /yct54

And after that little ritual before searching, you're sure to find the info that you needed, if you can't find it, the it's probably not in the forums! so after doing this is when you should do your thread asking for help, since now you are sure you are not spamming :P

at the same time, avoid piling up the HELP section with questions that have been asked and answered thousands of times before xP

I hope that this will help newbies from making unnecessary threads ;P
And even tho this sounds kinda uselless, trust me, it might help us a lot with spam/repeated posts :P
PD: Also, those who want to make a guide, should also search for the guide theyre going to post, to make sure that such guide didnt exist already (Of course, if your guide is better and more complete, then go ahead :3)

Note:
This guide was originally made by alwe17, from the freesky forums, i saw it and thought it would be very useful to have it here :P so i edited it, removed some stuff i didn't like, added some other stuff and the posted here, for the original post see http://forum.fo.igg.com/viewthread.php?tid=3496&page=1

[ Last edited by D4rkWolf at 6-27-2009 21:44 ]

Signature
Posted on 2009-07-12 07:14:01 | Show thread starter's posts only

nice.. very useful..

Signature
Posted on 2009-07-19 23:13:19 | Show thread starter's posts only

I noticed it toh.. by the way.. thanks for making this very usefull thread.. hope that everybody read this and follow this one...

the best thing is to USE search BOtton to reduce the redunduncy of thread..

Signature
Posted on 2009-07-19 23:16:58 | Show thread starter's posts only

Lol, didn't saw it before now. /40t
Nice guide.

Signature
Posted on 2009-07-20 09:51:29 | Show thread starter's posts only

The only Trouble I see is getting anyone to read it .

/yct72

They tend to ignore any guides or instuction of any type.

Signature
http://voyagecentury.fandom.com

http://thepiratescove.org
Posted on 2009-07-20 14:18:50 | Show thread starter's posts only

Well, this has 103 views, guess that's at least 100 people who will use search feature before posting :P

Signature
Posted on 2009-07-20 15:08:07 | Show thread starter's posts only

Maybe someone refreshed this page 50 times..
We can't really check the number of view to say how many people checked this topic..

Signature
Posted on 2009-07-20 15:54:50 | Show thread starter's posts only

Well, guess you are right there. We are doing the best we can tho xD

Signature
Posted on 2009-09-16 21:47:26 | Show thread starter's posts only

lol thats why it always say 0 results.. XD thanks

Signature
Posted on 2009-09-23 17:33:50 | Show thread starter's posts only

Nice guide
Saves me time answering the same questions again.. and again.. and again.. and again.. etc

Signature